Friday, March 23, 2007

I don't think I believe this

Regarding the sex ed bill making it's way through the legislature, from The Columbian:

There is nothing medically or scientifically inaccurate in saying abstinence is a proven birth-control method (not to mention a way to protect one's heart and reputation). But Linda Klepacki, nurse and analyst for sexual health with the conservative group Focus on the Family in Colorado says, "What (legislatures) are saying is that in order to be medically and scientifically accurate, you must be verified and supported in your research by peer review. Abstinence education cannot get into peer-review journals because the journals are controlled by far-left liberal organizations that do not allow us to publish."
Really? The science can't get into the journals, because scientists and doctors are "far-left liberal"?

Truth time: I'm one of those who waited until marriage. I'm glad I did, and I don't regret it. In health class I think that the primary message should be that abstinence is the only way that is 100% proven to prevent pregnancy and transmission of STDs. I think, though, that we also need to give kids all the information we can, because many of them aren't going to follow the path of abstinence. And local control is certainly important, but what does the science tell us?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home