Saturday, March 17, 2007

I got my grant from WERA!

Back in early January I applied for a grant from the Washington Educational Research Association, aka WERA, to fund an idea I have to study how Response to Intervention is implemented in my school.

Just getting the darned thing turned in was an adventure. I was working on two different computers at the time, wrote what I thought was a really good application, put it on my thumb drive, took it home to work on it some more....and it wasn't there. Stupidly, I had saved it to the thumb drive proper instead of the hard drive, so when it corrupted I was left with one crap file and an ulcer.

So I tried to recreate what I had done the first time around, all the while thinking that there was no way to get it done the right way. I finished what I was able to, proofread, decided it had to be good enough, and mailed it in just under the deadline.

Lo and behold, I got the grant anyways! The letter came in the mail today letting me know I had won, and man is it ever a good feeling. Right now we're creating a ton of data; this grant will give me the time to actually sit down with the data from every grade level, develop interventions, and make sure they're meaningful. I think it's got a real chance to put us on the right track for years to come, if I do it right, and that's a neat thing.

Slowly but surely, I'm morphing into Jenny D or Ken. It's a new challenge, and I think it'll be a lot of fun.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger The Science Goddess said...

Are you coming to the WERA conference at the end of the month?

7:24 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

I'm trying to, if I can get child care arranged. I really enjoyed last year's spring conference; it's good stuff.

7:06 AM  
Blogger The Science Goddess said...

I'll be there, too! I hope that you can make it.

Some of us from my district are going out to dinner with Ken O'Connor on Wednesday.

It'd be great to meet you if you're able to make it.

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home