Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The Book Thing

Over at Bluebird’s Classroom, via California Teacher Guy, there is a series of questions about books that have touched your life. It looked like fun, so here are my answers:

  • One book that changed your life: A Bell Tolling in an Empty Sky: The Best of the Sun Magazine. I first picked up The Sun when I went off to college, and the sheer quality of the writing impacted me as profoundly as anything I’ve ever read. There’s a theme on improving yourself to improve the world, and the personal stories are incredible.
  • One book that you’ve read more than once: Elmer Gantry, by Sinclair Lewis. It’s not uplifting, but Lewis’ classic about an insincere preacher reveals something new every time I read it. In my opinion, it’s easily his best work.
  • One book you’d want on a desert island: For practical reasons, the Boy Scout Handbook.
  • One book that made you laugh: Red Sky at Morning. During our silent reading time in 9th grade I read this scene between the hired Mexican day laborer and the landlord that had me shaking with laughter and looking like a complete spaz in front of everyone else in class. But man, that was hilarious!
  • One book that made you cry: There was a Spiderman story I read years ago called “The Boy Who Collected Spiderman” that was one of the most emotional comics I’ve ever come across. For other tear-jerking comics, you can read a comprehensive list hereor here.
  • One book that you wish had been written: How to Lose Weight Without Making Any Life Changes or Exercising.
  • One book that you wish had never been written: The Catcher in the Rye. I hate this book. I’ve heard others say how it changed their life forever, but the couple of times I’ve been completely unimpressed. My high school English teacher and I went around and around on this one.
  • The book you are currently reading: Tough Love for Schools by Frederick Hess and Collective Bargaining in Education by Jane Hathaway and Andrew Rotherham. School nerd!
  • One book you’ve been meaning to read: Freakanomics. My dad says it’s great.
  • 1 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    8:06 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home