Wednesday, August 02, 2006

District Administrator Magazine Turns Me Into a l33t haXor warez d00d

So the focus of the June issue of District Administrator magazine is technology, and there’s a neat article on keeping your wi-fi network secure. I’d never heard of sniffing, but the magazine was nice enough to provide both a definition and a link to a site where you can download a sniffing tool.

The firewall on my school network didn’t block it out, which is a little disturbing.

Similarly, I could get on my school network and get to the NetStumbler website. Phreak.com also went through. The only one of the websites listed in the magazine that was blocked on my network was happyhacker.org, and in this case one out of four really is bad.

I’m thinking I’ll send the article over to our district IT guy and see what he thinks. Blocking them on the district level won’t stop a determined kid from getting these tools, but at least we can say we tried.

1 Comments:

Blogger NYC Educator said...

That's disturbing. I do use wi-fi when I'm away from home, mostly for blogging. I won't buy anything on the net over wi-fi though.

All the hotels make you go through a disclaimer that you use wi-fi at your own risk.

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home