Sunday, April 15, 2007

Why I Love the Chronicle of Higher Education

I subscribed to the Chronicle because I’ve flirted with the idea of teaching at the college level and I thought it could help me refine my thoughts. In terms of job advice, it’s a good publication with a lot to offer.

The best section by a mile, though, is their weekly listing of new scholarly books. Some of the titles that are available at bookstores now:

Mortuary Landscapes of North Africa, by David L. Stone. Publish, about the Perished.

The Ghosts of the Past: Latin Literature, The Dead, and Rome’s Transition to a Principate, by Basil Dufallo. Publish, about perished papists.

Soft in the Middle: The Contemporary Softcore Feature in Its Contexts, by David Andrews. I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when he went in front of his university research committee. “Well, here’s what I want to do—I want to rent every movie that Shannon Tweed has been in, and then I’d like to make a big deal about 9 ½ Weeks. Who’s with me?!”

Imagined History: Chapters From Nineteenth and Twentieth Century Hungarian Symbolic Politics, by Andras Gero. If that title doesn't hook you in, you've got no soul.

Negras in Brazil: Re-Envisioning Black Women, Citizenship, and the Politics of Identity, by Kia Lilly Caldwell. Included because that seems like the stereotypically perfect title for an academic book.

When I write my book, it’s going to have the word paradigm in the title. I’m not sure how or what I’m writing about, but it’ll be there.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Rain, as one who shares your hankering for the ivory tower, I sympathize with the need to have a niche book.

but "paradigm" is passe these days--unless you are going to use it as a different part of speech.

example:

"The paridigmatic actualization of cultural reality--the cycle of post-modern mythology"

See? quite a nice ring to it.

jl

3:43 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

You're a natural, JL!

The only change I would make is to call it post-post-modernism. Traditional post-modernism is so anti-metanarative as to be hegemonic!

(If that makes sense, it was totally by accident)

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home