Tuesday, October 31, 2006

My Apologies to Wazzu


A couple of weeks back I made fun of our esteemed land-grant university for paying their president as much money as they did. Little did I know the happy day that the U-dub had in store for their head. From the Seattle Times:

When University of Washington President Mark Emmert received an annual raise of more than $100,000 last week, it increased his pay to nearly five times the governor’s and vaulted him to the top ranks of public-university presidents.

Yet UW regents still worry whether Emmert’s new annual compensation of $718,700 will be enough to keep him for the long term. They say that in the two years since coming to the UW, Emmert has been approached several times by other universities, both public and private.

And the kicker…

He also gets free use of the UW’s 12,000 square-foot mansion overlooking Lake Washington.

I am so in the wrong line of work.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And is there any private money subsidizing his salary?

jl

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, do you have thoughts about what an ideal school calendar might look like?

jl

4:49 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Plenty. I'll try to write them up over the weekend and post them next week. I know I keep going back to the Picus and Odden report, but it had some good things to say on the subject.

The gist of it: as an elementary grades teacher, I see what the summer layoff does to some of my kids. It's also necessary to have ways to expand the school day for those kids that need it, but not all do.

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home