Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Inner Dialogue


“Mr. Rain, I’m walking home today.”

No you’re not, you little bastard. You ride the bus to the daycare center, and there you sit until your mom or dad gets off work. Knock this crap off and get in line for the bus.

“Hmm….do you have a note?

“No.”

Of course you don’t have a note. I mean, I’m only your teacher…why ever would it be important for me to know what you do after school? And the 20-second effort that it would take to scribble, “Sonny-boy will walk home today!” is far too much to expect. I get it, I really do!

"Z, honey, you know I can’t let you walk home without a note.”

“But my mom told me!”

That’s the point, child! Your mom told you, and didn’t tell me! Why do all these parents think that I’m going to take their six-year old at their word? If I listened to these kids I would believe that the majority of them were princesses who rode unicorns to school, or trained professional ninjas who can kill with but a touch, but I’ve get to see either. Write a note, write a note, write a note, write a frickin’ note!

“Hi Mr. Rain, I’m here to pick up my brother so we can walk home.”

“Oh. That’s good. Have a nice night, Z.”

“See ya, Mr. Rain!”

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's very good you keep your inner dialogue inner. I've always suffered from a strange phenomenon that sent thoughts directly from my brain to my mouth, and I've really had to struggle with that since becoming a teacher.

Also, I'm encouraged to see teachers who trust kids as little as I do.

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home