Tuesday, October 24, 2006

There Really Is a Such Thing as a Free Lunch



E walks in the other day and says, “Mr. Rain, my mom filled out some special papers, so I get to have free lunch!”

That would be the Free and Reduced Price lunch, which you qualify for by being close enough to the federal poverty line. It’s always surprised me that anyone at my school would qualify, since by definition if you attend the base school one of your parents has to be federally employed (most likely by the Air Force), but so be it.

“Well, E, that’s swell! Go ahead and start your entry task.”

But this is the hot topic on E’s mind, so he wanders over to J and says, “Guess what, J! I get to have a free lunch!”

“What? Why?”

“My mom filled out a paper, and I get free lunch!”

“Mr. Grant, E gets to have free lunch!”

“I heard that.”

“But I wanna free lunch, too!”

And so it goes. A nice thing about my school is the lunch accounts are computerized, so I don’t even have any idea who gets the reduced price, nor do the kids. I remember back in the day it was a stigma, but no more.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, the only really good thing you can say about a school lunch is that it's free. For us it costs four bucks.

Yesterday I went to a deli and got a Boar's Head turkey and provolone on pumpernickel with lettuce and tomato for five bucks.

I have made my last pilgrimage to our school cafeteria.

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sir, are fascinating!

Smart, very well read, reasonable and a very skilled writer--and such a paradox!

I could expound at length, but I fear the accolades I would give might give you a brain aneurism.

I am very tapped into education policymaking in Washington, and would truly value learning more from you.

[bookmarking blog now]

See you around in the comments section.

JL

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home