Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The Teacher/Student Relationship Reaches its Logical Conclusion

Got my new certificate in the mail last week. It’s one of the new Professional Certificates, because I messed the deadline to be on the old (read: easier) program by one quarter. Happily I’m now on the 150 clock-hour system, which is pretty easy to get.

Anyhow, when they sent out my certificate they also tucked in a copy of the Code of Professional Conduct. I decided not to take it personally. As I read through it this caught my eye:

WAC 180-87-080 Sexual Misconduct With Students. Unprofessional conduct includes the commission by an educational practitioner of any sexually exploitive act with or to a student including, but not limited to, the following:

  1. Any sexual advance, verbal or physical.
  2. Sexual intercourse as defined in RCW 9A.44.010
  3. Indecent exposure as defined in RCW 9A.88.010
  4. Sexual contact, i.e., the intentional touching of the sexual or other intimate parts of a student except to the extent necessary and appropriate to attend to the hygienic or health needs of the student;
  5. PROVIDED, That the provisions of this section shall not apply if at the time of the sexual conduct the participants are married to each other.

My question: when the hell would the teacher ever be married to the student? I can’t quite get my mind wrapped around that one. Has it ever happened?

3 Comments:

Blogger Pissedoffteacher said...

It sure has happened. I know a female teacher who married a male student in 1980. They are still happily married. I know a few males who married females. A teacher beginning a career at 21 is not that much older than students.

5:36 PM  
Blogger NYC Educator said...

I always marry my high school students before having sex with them, precisely to avoid conflicts like those described in the rules.

5:51 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

NYC Educator: That seems like a wise and sensible policy. You're lucky to teach high school ;-)

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home