Sunday, December 21, 2008

I Confess My Cultural Ignorance


Maybe this says something about my schooling. Maybe it says something about my background. Maybe it says something about my hobbies, my upbringing, or the path I've walked in life.

But I had honestly never heard of the poem "If" by Rudyard Kipling until it popped up in the Blagojavich speech last week.

Am I a total illiterate, or is the poem not one that's commonly taught?

(The image is kited from this website, another pretty good web version of the poem.)

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm.

Given your age, I'd say you must have spent some of your formative years in a coma.

It seems like one could not graduate from high school without getting this in the ceremony, sentimental cards, yearbooks or other form of sentimental message delivery.

I think it was a graduation requirement to memorize it in some schools.

jl

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home