Monday, June 02, 2008

Fat Bastard Takes to the Classroom


Interesting piece from Mike Petrilli at the Fordham Foundation on the cost of teacher obesity in the country; by his figuring, fat teachers cost the system $2.5 billion a year in increased health costs. He errs when he suggests that this is a good reason to make teachers pay more for their health care, but I do like the idea of the district paying for my monthly Weight Watchers fees and personal trainer.

At my school we've got all sorts, from the ladies who do yoga three times a week and run half-marathons for fun, to the guy who can drink two liters of Pepsi in a day without really thinking about it. That would be me.

I've really got to work on this. It'll benefit my health, and it'll benefit the kids when I can match their energy level.

More on Petrilli from Eduwonkette, here. Also check out the Fordham Factor YouTube posting with Mike Petrilli here; it makes for good internet TV.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

High stress+ gobbling your food in 20 minutes if you're lucky+ intense need for caffeine+standing on your feet all day= fat. Duh.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Bluebird said...

What Mrs. Cornelius said.

Actually, I managed to, for the first time ever, lose 25 lbs so far this year. I can't believe I did it. I feel better than I have in years, but part of it is having a best friend and fellow teacher who will go to the gym with you.

However, after looking out at the FAT kids, and I include one from last year who was so fat that he can't sit in a student desk but has to have a special chair and table in each class, I'm not going down that road anymore. I swear I'm looking at kids who aren't going to make it past 40 due to diabetes and heart disease. I'm 46 and I can kick their butts on a hike. Sad.

Fat Teachers? Hell, we have FAT kids!

7:45 PM  
Blogger Jasmin Loire said...

"gobbling your food in 20 minutes if you're lucky"

^^Yeah. That.

I was so much thinner before I started teaching. I was also used to having enough time to eat AND breathe. Funny how things change.

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home