Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Down Goes the Simple Majority

Right now, by about 60,000 votes. Unless something drastic happens over night, that's the end of that.

This one surprises me. One person, one vote should mean something, but the supermajority (and the Eyman initiative that also looks on track to pass) throw that principle on its head. People in Washington are so afraid of taxes that they can't even bother to fill out their absentee ballot, I guess.

Any before anyone tries to tell me I don't get it, don't even start. I own my own home. My wife is self-employed, and we get absolutely reamed every April. I've got a special needs daughter who's eating up a lot of my discretionary income.

But I still believe that every vote should count 1-to-1. When your no vote is worth 50% more than my yes vote, that's giving you more power in a democracy than I have, and that's unfair. The people of Washington had a chance to fix that. Apparently, they prefer minority rules.

This can't be seen as anything other than a total repudiation of Washington students and teachers.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home