Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Lake Stevens considers random drug testing

Per this article from the Seattle Times, the school board in Lake Stevens is considering random drug testing for anyone involved in an after-school activity. From the article:

For the past year, Lake Stevens officials have discussed a range of strategies to address high-school students' drug use.

The board is expected to direct Superintendent Dave Burgess to develop a plan that includes student drug testing beginning in the fall.

"The focus isn't to be punitive, to kick kids out of school, but to get them the help they need to be drug- and alcohol-free," district spokeswoman Arlene Hulten said.

The Marysville School Board also has discussed implementing student drug testing as a way to reduce drug use and increase student awareness about its dangers.

But the state American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) argues that such testing is illegal and has sued schools in Wahkiakum and Kittitas counties. Other critics say testing doesn't reduce drug use and likely drives away students who could most benefit from participation in school activities.

I think the last point is the most important, and it's the same concerns that I have with the program suggested in Wahkiakum; you risk pushing the kids who would benefit from being a part of the teams away.

When I was in high school I was the athletic trainer, three seasons a year. I particpated in most of the after school clubs, was active in every summer program, and gave my all for my school. I was (and am) also intensely private, especially about my body, and I would have quit it all before I would have peed in a cup for my school. In that case, no one wins. In that case, who has a program like the one described help?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home