Tuesday, July 01, 2008

What’s Important from the May 2008 WERA Newsletter?

The Washington Educational Research Association (WERA) recently put out the newest edition of their quarterly newsletter. Some highlights:

  • The front page article is by Robin Munson of OSPI on how the job of assessment director and testing coordinator has changed in the last decade. It’s an interesting read on how the system has evolved; those of you out there who are currently working with testing will appreciate it.

  • New WERA president Nancy Arnold of Puyallup points out the white papers section of the WERA website in her column, which seems like an odd thing to highlight because it’s not the most well-developed resource they have.

  • Later on, in the report from the annual meeting in March, there is discussion about strengthening the bond between WERA and higher education staff. This is a good thing, and it could go a long ways towards fixing the problem above. If a professor came up to me and said, “Ryan, good paper—make these revisions and it’ll get published on the WERA home page!”, I would have done it in a heartbeat. I suspect I’m not the only one.

  • The Winter WERA Conference is December 3rd through 5th at the Airport Hilton in Sea-Tac. Start saving your money now.

  • I have fallen in love with Google Scholar. Where was this during my undergraduate days?

  • I also like ERIC’s new web interface. Getting research has never been easier.
It’s another great newsletter from WERA. I’m glad I’m a member.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home