Saturday, April 12, 2008

The EFF Tries a Podcast

The Evergreen Freedom Foundation recently put out their first ever podcast, which is pretty good for a first effort. They also have a new video channel, like the WEA does, and if this was a different decade where a man could get away with saying such things I'd go so far as to call their host strikingly beautiful.

(Factcheck on the podcast: very few locals charge $1000 a year total in dues. There are also many locals that don't charge a percentage of the paycheck. This I know, because I've been studying how locals charge their dues for a project I'm working on)

I'm not a member--when it comes to their "free market will solve anything!" tripe I'm not even a fan--but as an observer of the education system I think it needs to be understood that the EFF is a part of the chorus, and they have a message that resonates with many. I'll be adding the podcast to my RSS feeder.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

To get the dues for all locals, get a copy of the "Hudson Packet" from the WEA attys. Then go to the WEA meeting at which they permit objectors to challenge the calculations in the Hudson Packet.

These meetings are in spring and hosted at WEA headquarters and probably in Spokane.

Short answer: WEA has it.

Correct, few are over $1,000. However, WEA dues amount is based on a percentage of the average pay--plus a couple of per capita charges.

Still, since COLA is automatic (I732), and since the number of days are defined, and since contracts are essentially carried forward and last for three years--$3,000 for your share of a contract is pricey. Probably more than it would cost to hire an atty to negotiate your own workplace needs, no?

No wonder the Hudson packet shows funds used for purposes unrelated to workplace representation.

jl

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home