Monday, July 16, 2007

Expiration Date

A teacher coach walks into the curriculum director’s office and says, “Bob, now that I’ve left the classroom, I’m worried I won’t have credibility with the staff. How long do I have before teachers don’t take me seriously any more?”

Her boss leans back in his chair, looks thoughtful, and says, “Ten.”

“Ten? Ten what? Ten years? Ten demonstration lessons?”

The director shakes his head sadly and keeps counting, “Nine....eight....seven....”
One of the most thoughtful websites for practitioners interested in the big picture can be found at the Teacher Leaders Network. I found a very interesting conversation there the other day on just how much credibility coaches and TOSAs have when they’re out of the classroom; in fact, the entire site is filled with mindful commentary on education today.

It’s a great place that’s well worth checking out!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the very interesting link, Ryan. This is a question I've often pondered, too. I have some curriculum colleagues who have tried to do both and found it very difficult to meet the needs of a school and an entire district at the same time. However, I sensed after three years full-time in curriculum that I was ready to jump back in to a school. I wasn't pleased at the idea of having to remain part-time curriculum, admin intern/dean of students, AND teacher all at once. But as the idea of my assignment has set in, I believe that I will have more credibility with a new staff in a new building if I'm teaching at least one class.

I agree with the views in the TLN link that state as long as you continue to work FOR children and are facilitating professional development for classroom teachers, you won't lose touch with teaching. It's the TOSAs who spend all their time at a computer creating curriculum documents that no one reads that have a very short, if non-existent, shelf-life. Thanks again for keeping my brain active through these lazy summer months!

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No matter what role you play in our education system, participating in ongoing dialogue with other accomplished educators keeps you in touch with reality in the classrooms of today and preserves your shelf life if you have moved from the classroom into other roles. That's what Teacher Leaders Network (TLN) does for hundreds of us. I'm glad you found our site and were inspired.

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home