Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Banned Books are for Shnooks

Great article in the September 27th Education Week about those books that are the most challenged in libraries. I think that the family that finds Of Mice and Men objectionable is way too sheltered, but such is life.

I’ve never had a parent actually question any of the books that I’ve read to the kids. Junie B. Jones worries me every now and then, just because her language can get a little salty to some, but I’ve gone on reading them all the same. I don’t read the Captain Underpants books out loud to the kids, mainly because they get the boys too riled up.

I have gotten some raised eyebrows from the other teachers in the building when I put out the books at Christmastime, mainly because I put Christian books out for the kids right next to the normal Christmas books. I don’t read them out loud, but they are there for the kids to check out if they want. I’ve never made an issue of it, nor have the parents or the kids. It’s only been a couple of the teachers who think I’m pushing the envelope; I think they’re being too sensitive.

You can find the list of the Most Challenged Books for 2005 at the American Library Associations website, here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home