Friday, April 28, 2006

Thinking about Retirement

In the must read category, this post from EduWonk gets into how the NEA and some of its "partners" may have been too cozy, and how members have suffered as a result. The article that he links to, from the LA Times, is pretty damning.

One thing that I'd like to see, somewhere, is a comparison of the retirement plans between all 50 states. I'm guessing that it's got to be out there somewhere; I've just not found it. I'd love to know who still has Defined Benefit plans, who's using Defined Contributions, who's using a blended model, who's going to have to pray for the continued health of social security, etc.

Up here the Washington State Investment Board does a spectacular job of running our TRS accounts, and the costs are better than reasonable. If you're on TRS it's well worth it to spend some time reading about the different fund offerings, and wandering through the Department of Retirement Systems and reading their material is also a great thing.

I'm dumping as much as I can into my TRS3 account. It's not easy, what with a mortgage and the Little sThinker on the way, but I know (hope?) it'll pay off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home