Monday, September 27, 2010

I'm Still Right About Timber Money

You may remember that last spring I ran a New Business Item at the WEA Rep Assembly related to federal timber money that comes from the feds and is then skimmed off by OSPI. I made a Facebook group, worked with a lot of Uniserv councils, had some fun....good times.

At RA my NBI got kicked over to committee (note to self--find out which one). I hadn't put a whole lot of thought into it the last few months, but then as I was going through the materials from the last Quality Education Council meeting I was pleasantly surprised to see that they were doing a whole segment on the topic. Score!

The point? Going off of this spreadsheet, 199 out of the 295 districts in the state would get additional money if the forest funds were allocated as they should be. 84 districts would receive less money, but of those 84 only 12 would stand to lose more than $10,000 and the biggest loser is Spokane at $54,000, which works out to roughly $2 per student.

Given that members of the QEC asked directly to have the issue studied, it's a fairly sure bet that it'll come up during the legislative session. It'll be worth watching.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home