Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Over Paid Teacher

There’s a lot of people out there who talk about teacher salaries in the abstract—“They’re overpaid! They’re underpaid! They’re paid just right!”, etc. Since teacher salaries are a matter of public record there’s not a whole lot to be argued about there, but what about the other numbers like benefits, retirement, etc.?

On Friday I got my annual statement summarizing all my paychecks for the year. I give you those numbers here so that you can know exactly what it’s like.

  • Social security wages: $42,864.02
  • Wages, tips, other compensation: $35,822.74
  • Federal income tax withheld: $4,390.32
  • Social security tax withheld: $2,657.56
  • Medicare tax withheld: $621.53
That’s basically the information from the W2. The central number is the second, because that was nominally my take home pay after taking out the income tax and social security.

Oh, but there were other deductions:

  • L&I: $48.72
  • Section 125 ME: $4,077.82
  • Union Dues: $732.64
  • Retirement: $7,041.28
The total of those deductions is $11,900.46. When you subtract that from the line above it leaves about $24,000, or $2,000 a month.

What’s that Section 125 ME number? That’s what I pay in health insurance out of pocket per year, or about $340 a month. If anyone tells you that all teachers get their health insurance paid for, slap them with a trout. Know too that I voluntarily put far more into my retirement plan than I have to, but on TRS3 if you don’t save for yourself you’re absolutely screwed.

This is my reality. What's yours?

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey.

The value of the state-provided benefits for you was $14,473. I wonder if your out-of-pocket was because of the nature of the benefit package negotiated for you? I've heard that the quality of teacher benefits exceeds that of state employees--and you pay out of pocket more than state employees do.

I've heard deeper darker theories about why teacher benefits turn out the way they do--rumors of union-health insurer coziness. Never was able to substantiate.

jl

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And if we compare our take-home wages with the cost-of-living in the US, it looks even grimmer. Especially with how ugly everything is looking on the housing front.

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home