Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Let It All Hang Out

I’m going to wear shorts tomorrow, and you can’t stop me.

That’s right. Extending below the fabric that covers my groin will be two legs. Hairy legs, and lately a little flabby. Those legs will be exposed for the entire world to see until they reach my socks, at which time they will again be obfuscated by a pair of cotton socks from Sears. My knees will be clearly visible to all who encounter me, as will my calves. There will be legs. Oh yes, there will be legs.

I bring this up because I wore my shorts Friday of last week and the PE teacher (who was acting principal for the day) didn’t think it was appropriate at all. The best (worst?) she could do was a stern tsking, but her image of professional dress didn’t at all jive with what I was wearing. The neat thing this week is that it’s our Spirit Week celebration, so I can pretty much get away with anything.

Looking back, my standards have fallen over the years:

Year 1 I wouldn’t have been caught dead in anything less than full sleeves and a tie.
Year 2 the tie took a few days off, but the full sleeves remained.
Year 3 the tie went away entirely when I read a report that said ties cause glaucoma.
Year 4 I was introduced to the joy of short sleeve shirts at work.

Now, I’m usually in slacks and a short-sleeve cotton blend. Every once in a great while (1st day of school, Superintendent is coming for a visit, etc.) I’ll break out the full suit of armor, but it’s the exception rather than the rule.

Do you think how you dress matters?
If it’s a choice between comfort and looks, what wins?

Update: Dr. Homeslice has attire on the mind as well.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger The Science Goddess said...

I think that being an elementary teacher---especially at the primary grade levels---almost necessitates a more casual attire. You can end up spending a lot of time on the floor, cleaning up all manner of things, and so on. Even at secondary, there are some roles for which a shirt/tie (for men) might not be the best choice (shop class, anyone?).

I "dress up" everyday---and did even when I was in the classroom full time. I started out that way because I was so young (just turned 21...with 17 year olds in my classroom) as a way to distinguish myself from the kids. Now, it's just habit and I'm at ease with it.

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It isn't "comfort vs. looks," it's professionalism - period. I understand your concerns with comfort, but educators have a duty to dress professionally.

If teachers want to be treated as professionals, they need to exude that professionalism at all turns. They need to speak, act and look like professionals.

If teachers want to be paid like professionals, they need to exude that same professionalism.

If teachers want students to respect them and take seriously the classroom as a learning environment, they need to reflect that seriousness of purpose in their actions and dress.

This doesn't mean that you can't have a few casual days here and there - we know that's important, too. But, in general, if you present yourself [dress/act] in a casual way, you'll get casual results.

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home