Sunday, July 16, 2006

Working With Gifted Kids

If I get to teach this combo class next year I’ll have a very, very bright group of kids. I’ve been thinking about the possibility a lot this summer, which probably means that it won’t happen because I’ll be ready for it.

Anyhow, I’ve been surfing around for hints and tips on working with gifted kids. This is an area that I feel pretty comfortable with anyhow, but it never hurts to know more, right?

Hoagie’s Gifted Page was pretty good in the idea department. What I’m looking for is curriculum ideas, things that I can have the driven, independent kids do on their own while I work with groups, teach the other half of the class, whatever. They had a link to the EPGY program at Stanford, which looks like it would be excellent for the high math kids, but then I read a review at Hoagies and it looks like the price per course would be around $500. I’ll spend money on my kids, but that’s way over the top. Accelerated Math will have to be good enough.

This website, on the Dos and Don’ts of instruction for gifted kids, was a good read too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home