Saturday, June 03, 2006

Fatitude

I'm overweight, because I don't eat well. Today's brekfast was a pouch from Schwanns, lunch was two pizza pockets and a Pepsi from Yoke's, and dinner is fairly certain to not be much better. There's been times in my life when I ate quite well, with salad at least 6 or 7 times a week and some exercise for dessert, but not lately.

A big part of it is that I eat for comfort--after a tough day, a tough meeting, whatever, I'll drink soda and I'll feel better. It's made me quite fat. It's also given me an appreciation for the damned skinny teachers who've figured out how to balance work, family, and self. Hopefully I get that straightened out before the family history of diabetes kicks my butt.

I know the mantra is "Take care of yourself first!", but I don't do that nearly enough. I'm putting too much into the classroom and not enough in to me; I've got to get that turned around next year. Any suggestions?

1 Comments:

Blogger NYC Educator said...

I highly recommend a book called Sugar Busters. I lost 35 pounds and have kept it off for three or four years.

Sugar will kill you. In the seventies they developed the now-ubiquitous high-fructose corn syrup, which is even worse.

Switch to diet soda, eliminate sugar and eat only whole grains.

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home